Sunday, December 20, 2009

Why Hate the Fruit Cake?

Seriously. Everyone seems to be so against the holiday tradition known as fruit cake, and it has honestly never made much sense to me. Yes, it is a rather heavy cake. And yes, it is full of candied fruits and nuts including but certainly not limited to the unidentified green...things. And yes, it does sometimes provide an interesting aftertaste that may or may not be to your liking.

But those things aside, it's really not as bad as it's made out to be. In fact, I find fruit cake to be rather good and don't like the idea of not having it for Christmas. Here are some reasons why I like fruit cake:

1. Flavor Meets Texture

I like the way fruit cake tastes. But even more than that, I like the texture of it. Yes, it is very heavy - hence why you are supposed to only eat small pieces at a time. Heaviness aside, however, the cake has a really interesting texture. You can feel the nuts and candied fruit, but if you really dig far enough, you can tell that the cake batter itself has the texture much like a very firm bread pudding. That's not a very good way to describe it, but it's the only one I can think of right now. Anyway, it's good.

2. Tradition

My dad and I have this tradition where we always get a fruit cake. My mom and little sister don't like fruit cake, so it's just me and dad eating it. It's kinda like when I was younger and dad and I would watch TV and binge on my Halloween candy after the others had gone to bed. It was our way of connecting. Same with the fruit cake: we both eat slices together and discuss the cake and whatever else may be going on at the time. It's nice and routine and ours.

3. The Green Things

I am probably the only person I know who gets a kick out of eating the green cherries on the fruit cake. At least, I think they're cherries. I don't know why I get so amused eating them, but it's a big deal to me for some strange reason. I guess it's how my brain is programed...

So there you have it, my reasons for liking fruit cake. I know that a lot of people still hate it even after reading this, but if you have read this, please, try to give fruit cake a chance. It has a lot of good points and it's a holiday thing.

But if you still don't like it, I understand.

Until the next time, Cyberland.

~Birdgirl90

No comments: