Monday, October 17, 2011

Update Time!

I'm alive!  I'm in the thick of school, so that's why updating has become so spurratic.  (Is that with one "r" or two?  I never know.  Oh well...)  That and the weather is cold, making me just want to read and knit and write on paper instead of updating on here.

I'm ready for fall break.  My school never gives us a good fall break, just a Thanksgiving one.  And granted, we get out like the second week of December, I would love to have a week off in the middle of October.  That's usually when the burn out hits me the hardest.

I feel like I'm running out of ideas for my writing.  While my ideas are gradually vanishing, my teachers are gradually becoming more demanding.  We're going in opposite directions on the line graph, if you catch my drift here. 

I know I have great ideas, I just get worried about doing them for school.  Tomorrow, my first short story is being critiqued.  My instructor in the class is nice, but he also grades somewhat harshly.  And my peers.  Oh lord, my peers.  It can either be as nice as spending a summer day outside or as terrifiying as walking into a lion den.   It all depends on their mood.

I know this is what I signed up for when I started taking writing classes and when I chose this major.  But geez.  Does it really have to be so bad that I get anxiety two days before?

I've been doing some thinking, and I've come to a realization.  If I wasn't doing a writing major, I would be a textile design major.  That's because my love of knitting and yarn and color is so great.  I'm so into design right now that I look at pattern books and instantly think "yeah, but I can make that better and easier."

How awful is that?  Yeah, I still have a ton of knitting books and yeah, I still support the industry.  But I think I'm just about to a point where my own creative thoughts are becoming more of what I'm interested in.  I think that means it's time for me to start working on my book.

Ah, but anyway.

I need to get back to homework.  Somehow I have to stay on top of it.

Until the next time, dear readers.

~Meaghan

No comments: