Thursday, August 11, 2011

Baking Madness.

I got a cookbook at the bookstore the other day.  It's filled with cupcakes, mini cakes, mini pies, and sweet breads.  And it was under three dollars when it was all said and done; my sweet boyfriend even bought it for me.

It's the first cookbook that is mine, and mine alone.  So naturally, I want to make things out of it.

Earlier this week, I took a stab at making chocolate peppermint cupcakes.  They puffed up and then sank like a popped souffle.  I took the remainder of the batter and made a single layer cake out of it.  While it didn't fall like the cupcakes did, it was dense and heavy. 

Now, the chocolate peppermint frosting was really good.  I kept it.

Today, I decided to try making a different type of cupcake.  I followed high altitude directions and made something I knew my mom would love - red velvet cupcakes.  (After all, she's being really nice in letting me use her supplies and kitchen to chase down my crazy baking goals.)

They turned out beautifully!

They are fluffy, the right shade of red, perfectly domed on top.  They didn't stick badly.  They taste wonderful.

But then I made frosting.  Pink, sugary, frosting.

Yeah, that didn't turn out too well.  I frosted like five cupcakes and then threw the frosting away.  It was waaay too sweet.

But it's all a learning experience.  And in a few days, I'm going to make different cupcakes again. :)

~Meaghan

No comments: