Wednesday, February 22, 2012

To Dream in Yarn

I've recently come to the realization that I really want to combine my two loves - writing and knitting - into one career.  My high aspiration is to publish my own knitting books with my designs in them and to one day write for Vogue Knitting.

That being said, I have a ways to go.

I think the key is to keep at it.  Keep designing on whims what I like and what I feel.  Keep knitting in as many colors and yarn types as I can.  And to write.  Oh yes.  Write.

Creation has become my oxygen.  I find more and more lately that if I'm not creating something at any given moment (be it an essay for school, a journal entry before bed, or a sweater while watching TV) then I feel empty.  I have no drive and feel like I have no purpose.

Maybe my purpose here on Earth right now is to create.  I think that must be what it means.  Right now, it's the thing I do that makes me feel alive.

I've started giving some thought to the kind of knitting books I would write.  I think the first one would be a book of hats.  Mens hats, womens hats, kids hats.  Some basic, some complex.  Something for everyone and every level, I think.  I've already started constructing patterns.  My favorite is my Heart Hat:


I created it last fall.  It would be a moderate pattern - a basic knowledge of colorwork is needed.

Then I think I would progress to mittens and gloves.  Then a book on scarves.  Then a book on sweaters.

That's what I want to do. 

The sky really is the limit. 

I'm not sure how I would get into writing or editing or designing for Vogue Knitting though.  I guess I just have to keep at it and start submitting things to various places, do my research and find where, try to get a job or internship, and did I mention keep at it?

Yeah.  It's going to be a bit of a long journey.

But I can't honestly think of a better one to take.

No comments: