Monday, November 8, 2010

You Know What?

I think it's almost ironic that they make us register for the spring semester while we're still in the middle of fall semester.  I mean, think about this.  You're in the process of getting papers done, pulling your grades out of the proverbial gutter (not like I have any experience with this...), and just trying to survive until winter break. Then all of a sudden, the school expects you to know what you want to do next semester and to get all the necessary paperwork in order before break.

Um, hello?  I'm a stressed college student, and while I happen to like registering for class, I still think it's kind of dumb that we have to do it so early.  Honestly, people.  I only know what I want to take next semester because I've been obsessively trying to figure out what I need to take to graduate sooner.  Otherwise, I'd have honestly no clue as to what I would want to take.

(BTW, guys and gals, as it stands, I should be able to get my degree in the spring of 2012.  So, before the world ends.) 

Another weird rant from the community college level: who decides when fall break is?

I like having Thanksgiving off and whatnot, I really do, but come on.  We get a week off only to have to come back for (in my case) two days of class to finish finals and whatnot.  Again, I'm not really complaining about having Thanksgiving off.  Don't get me wrong, I like being able to have turkey with the family and all that jazz.

But it would also be nice to have a week off in the middle of October.  That seems to be the burnout point for myself and all of my friends.  If we could have a week off in October, I think we'd be a lot more motivated toward the end.  You know, for whatever that's worth...

So now that that tangent is out of the way, here's what I'm taking for the spring semester.

1. English 122

 This is basically the second part of English comp.  It's a necessary evil and I'm not sure I'm looking forward to it.  Which, if you think about it, is kind of ironic in a way, as I am an English major of sorts.  But creative writing is so much more fun that traditional English writing.  So, papers and possibly boring, technical stuff.

2. Psychology 101

 This one knocks out the remaing requirements for my behavioral science catagory.  It was either this, Ethics, or Political Science (which might have been interesting.).  I chose this one because, let's face it.  It's fun getting into other people's heads and messing around.  Again, though, I anticipate lots of papers.

3. Public Speaking

 *shudder* Um, necessary evil.  Major necessary evil.  I do improv and I don't mind speaking in front of people sometimes, but anything that I write and then have to either read aloud or present freaks the heck out of me.  So, this is going to be character building as well as possibly horrifying.  And again, lots of speeches, so lots of papers.

4. Creative Writing II

 This is a requirement for the creative writing part of my degree, so I have to take it.  I'm in Creative Writing I right now, and I absolutely love it.  My writing has improved a lot, and I really want to keep it up.  So even though this is required, this is also a fun class that I am really looking forward to.  Lots and lots of papers/writing.

It all adds up to 12 credit hours, which is the most I've taken ever.  Normally I work while in school, but this year I'm not, so I should be able to handle it fine.  Spring is going to be fun, I think.  However, I feel like the commone theme is going to be paper writing...

And that's all we have time for today, kiddies.  I need to finish some homework for tomorrow that I pushed off this weekend.  I hope you guys have a great rest of your day.

~Meaghan

No comments: