Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Trouble with Scarves...

...is that they take forever. 

I'm on a self-imposed deadline.  Harry Potter comes out on Friday of next week.  My boyfriend and I are going to go see it.  I have my Slytherin scarf completely knitted and blocked; all it needs are the tassels.

His scarf, not so much.

I know I have a short attention span when it comes to knitting.  I don't know why - I've been doing it long enough that I'm a quick knitter.  But large projects lose me.  I like toys, hats, the occasional sock.  Things that take maybe a few days to finish.

Large projects - scarves, blankets, sweaters, etc. - cause me to get bored.  I think it may be that it's because of the sheer magnitude of them.  "Knit for 20 inches in stockinette stitch" or "Continue working in pattern until it reaches desired size".  Yeah.  I like it when patterns shake me up.  Like the scarf I made over spring break.  It has three different types of cables in it, making it both interesting to look at and to knit.

This scarf is a boring pattern.  I love making things for my loved ones.  And I love the way it looks.  But seriously.  Twenty two rows of stockinette stitch in one color, then twenty two rows in the next color.  It bores me.

But I can do this.  I have faith.  It's not like the sweater that I've about abandoned.  (I can use that chunky yarn to make some awesome toys or a nice bulky hat...)  This is for someone I love, for a special occasion.

It will get done.

And then I can celebrate by using the needles to make a lovely hat.

~Meaghan

No comments: