Saturday, October 4, 2008

What's your secret? Everyone has at least one...

There is a website called post secret ( www.postsecret.com ) where anyone can send in their deepest secrets anonamously on homemade postcards. The cards are each as unique as the secrets on them - some of the secrets are sad, some are lonely, and some are just downright funny.

The man who created the site, Frank Warren, believes that it is human to have things we can't tell outloud and that by sending in secrets on postcards, we are able to realize that we aren't as alone as once believed. Secrets, he says, are put into little boxes inside us - it is our choice as to whether or not we let them out of the box. And so the post secret community was born.

I love the post secret site. Not only do I enjoy reading the secrets on there, but Frank also does a lot of charity work and promotes things such as the suicide hotline.

And it makes me think. It makes me feel - some of the secrets on the site feel as though they could be my very own. It makes me feel like I am not alone, like I am not the only one on the edge of the world or in the midst of battle. And I like not feeling alone.

So what are your secrets, the ones that make you human?

I'll tell you one of mine, but you have to promise not to tell:

When the kids at work cry, it takes all in my power for me to not cry with them. I wish I could hug them and tell them everything will be okay, and to never grow up...

Does this make me human? I don't know. I like to think it does.

Time to start opening crates, cyberland.

No comments: