Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Reasons Why I Write

So, I got to thinking, and since I'm actually advertising this blog in as many places as humanly possible for reasons still unknown to me, I figured, I should probably update more often, even if it feels like word vomit.

Yes, that's right - word vomit. One of my favorite terms, so you should learn it.

Anyway.

So then I thought some more and decided that I never actually explained why I was doing a blog or why you should read it. I'm of the mindset that things are better late than never, so I'm going to give it to you now. Be warned - I am tired and running off pure energy, and I have not had a Coke today.

Let's begin.

I think blogging for me started off as an experiment of sorts. I have always liked to write, and I've been told that I'm a pretty decent writer. I have this far out dream of getting published one day down the road, and I really want to get my writing known to the public as a whole.

I'm not entirely sure why, because when I started this blog two years ago, I was fairly shy and I didn't like having a lot of attention drawn to myself. In a way, I am still like that - I consider myself to be more outgoing than I once was, but having attention drawn to myself makes me feel self-concious in most aspects.

But I have also discovered that my writing is the one thing I don't mind having people look at and read. I like to be acknowledged when I write something decent, and when I write something that I feel is particularly good (I won't say great, I have a long ways to go before then), I want to share it.

That's where my username comes in. I have been using the username birdgirl90 since I was 14 and started writing fanfiction. I try to use it for everything, because if people like my stuff, I want them to be able to find me conviently. As it is, if you google birdgirl90, everything that comes up on the first page is me.

This is not to sound conceited, for the record. I do not feel like I am God's gift to fanfiction, fiction, blogs, and writing as a whole. Far from it, actually. I don't know how many times I've read the works and writings of others and realized that my own skill has room for improvment. There is always room for improvment, and I am very aware of it.

Instead, I want to be able to share my experiences with others. I want to be able to take whatever bit of knowledge that is stored in my head and spread it around. Likewise, I want to be told when my writing sounds bad. I feel like I will never be able to grow as a writer unless I have feed back, both positive and not-so-positive. This is not to say that I want it to be mean, but I believe that constructive criticism is one of the best tools in the trade.

And so I blog. And I write fanfiction. I carry notebooks around in my backpack when I am at school for free writing between classes, and when things happen or ideas hit, I write them down and date them.

So, in short, I write this blog for my own entertainment and to help me grow as a writer, as well as to share my day with you, in hopes of making you laugh or think about things. Because, in the end, isn't that what we all do when we write?

~birdgirl90

No comments: