Sunday, May 30, 2010

Remind Me Again Why I Title These Updates?

Let's face it, my cyberland readers. Whenever I title my blog updates, I never stay in context to said title. My brain can't handle staying on topic for more than like five minutes.

I blame school. Everytime I write a paper for class, I have to stay on topic. Which isn't necessarily bad, but because of that, I feel like my free writing doesn't have to stay on topic, so I don't force myself to.

So I'm being creative and different, and not really using descriptive titles. Like now. It has nothing to do with the fact that I am perpetually tired and chronically lazy for the summer. Nope, doesn't play a part one bit.

Speaking of which, working this 5 am shift is crazy! I get up at 4 so that I have time to eat something and get ready for work, and then my day is off and running. I have discovered that I pass out now before 10:30 every night, and my body naturally wakes me up between 4 and 7 in the morning.

I have never been one for sleeping in, just cause since starting school last summer, I've always had early morning classes. So I guess my body just adjusts itself. Which could be weird, but I'm going to go with it.

Another random thing - I love fanfiction. I love reading it, and I love writing it. This week's contest on my favorite forum is to write a skit involving Pearl being stuck with the other characters (in my case, basically just Mike and Crow). I know, right? How fun is that? I love to do that with characters, mainly for my own enjoyment at watching them squirm.

The prize, though, is totally off the hook, so to speak. The gentleman who is hosting this week is married to the one and only Mary Jo Pehl. Mary Jo Pehl, for those who don't know, is the woman who played Pearl Forrester in the Sci-Fi era of MST3K (I may have talked about this, but Pearl and Brain Guy are the only reasons I have to watch those episodes, cause they are awesome! :D). She's also the only female riffer with CT, which automatically makes her awesome in my books.

(For a while, I was the only female player in my improv group, until Stacy came along and we started ganging up on the guys. It's tough sometimes, but fun. Anyone who can play with a bunch of men has my respect. )

So anyway, the prize for the winner is the newest CT DVD autographed and personalized by the Titans themselves. Which is incredible.

A fun contest, a fun prize, and an excuse to write AU fanfiction? I am so there.

So I wrote up my entry, and got it submitted. I'm only a little nervous because it was the first entry, it turned out fairly long, and I wrote it in script format. I generally don't do script format because I just don't like the style; third person narrative gives me so much more control over what the reader experiences. Plus, I chose to leave Mike on the SOL, and I generally don't watch a lot of Mike episodes, so I'm not convinced I got his personality right...

But it was an excuse to write all day pretty much, and I really enjoyed taking my idea and running with it. It was one of those where it pretty much wrote itself, and the characters ran with it. And even if I don't win, I have now contributed to the small fanfiction kingdom for MST3K. As soon as the contest is over, I'm going to upload it to fanfiction.net.

And that has been my day so far. It's almost 10 and I'm wiped, but hey - tomorrow is a holiday. My dad is home, and I don't have to work either, so my family and I are talking about doing something. Of course, dad has to take the car to get the oil changed, so we'll see how the day progresses...

Until the next time, Cyberland.

~birdgirl90

No comments: