Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Things I have learned in 2008

It was a very slow night at work this evening - I started and finished a whole book with a half hour to spare. In that half hour, I got to reflecting about the various things I have learned in the past year. For your enjoyment and because I like writing this sort of thing down for reasons unknown, here is what I have learned:

* If you mix blue and green Kool-Aid flavors to dye your hair with, while it smells nice and looks amazing the first week, it ultimately turns green and stays in place for 6 + months. I still have green in my bang region as proof.

* Therapy is actually not fun. Don't do anything that warrents going back.

* Don't break curfew unless you have a brilliantly good reason to.

* Being "one of the guys" has it's perks as long as they don't forget that you are of the feminine gender - when that happens, you are allowed to smack them on the arm and walk away.

* Never having been kissed at age 18 is not all bad, nor is being single as long.

* Never, ever assume. It really does make an ass out of u and me.

* Temporary hair dye, while it stays amazingly well on your ears, neck, pillowcase, hairbrush, etc., does not actually stay well in your hair.

* Waiting for change does nothing but make you depressed.

* Dances are obnoxiously loud

* Working with little kids is the most satisfying job I have ever had.

* Saying "No" does not make you a bad person, it merely saves you from over commiting yourself.

* Trying to find yourself is the hardest thing in the world, especially if you have no clue where to start looking.

* Books are always better than the movie, such as Twilight. (Sorry, Rob, your lines were just so cheesy that they made Cheez Whiz look like foreign Brie).

* Music makes things better.

* Going outside your comfort zone has advantages and disadvantages, but is worth the risk anyway.

And finally,

* Family is the strongest foundation you will ever have to support you and care for you. They are always there, and they always will be.

So now I feel like maybe I can relax a little tiny bit this Holiday season. After I survive participating in two Christmas Eve church services (I play handbells and sing first soprano in our choir) and watching my sister in two different services (she does bells, sings female tenor, and does puppets), that is.

Happy Holidays.

No comments: