Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Practice Time!

I just contacted the local orchestra to see if they could use any more violinists. As it turns out, they most definitely do need more violinists, and it doesn't matter that I'm out of practice. I am thrilled!

So now I have to wait to set up an audition. Which is fine, cause it gives me some time to pull one of my favorite classical pieces out of the woodwork and start polishing the hell out of it. It's been so long since I last played, but I am ready to do this. Orchestra playing (or any sort of playing in a group) has always been one of my favorite aspects of being a classically trained violinist. Now, I am going to get to do that again.

Provided I get an audition booked and I make it through the audition process.

Auditioning is one of those necessary evils in life. If it were a paid position in a professional orchestra (like the Boston Pops), the audition process would be a lot more intense, with scales and memorized pieces being involved, not to mention having to know things like the Bach conceretos in full. To top it off, there's like intense sight reading involved.

For my purposes, it's a lot more simple; have a piece ready (I don't know if it has to be memorized or not, so I'm going to go ahead and make sure it is to play it safe), be able to sight read some simple pieces, and go from there. I'm going to go ahead and work on a piece that I had memorized before I stopped playing the violin, which should make it easier to memorize again.

I think I'm either going to do a Vivaldi piece or a Mozart piece. I am leaning towards the Mozart one, because I like that one better. Vivaldi is great, I've just played him too much in too short a time span.

That is, provided I get an audition.

But hey, it sounds like they need players and I'm not opposed to doing second violin. So the odds are good.

Until the next time, Cyberland readers.

~Birdgirl90

No comments: