Saturday, January 16, 2010

Post College

I realized last night that one thing that scares the living bageezes out of me is the fact that I may end up in a desk job. I just can't picture myself working the 9 to 5 shift behind some old desk, doing paperwork until my eyes glaze over and my head explodes. I really can't.

So this brought about a very important question: What the hell am I supposed to do when I graduate?

I mean, not to go off or anything, but I'm not really great at a lot of things. Good, yes, but not amazing or spactacular or fantastic or anything of the sort. I'm decent at improv comedy, but not enough to make a career out of it. I'm fairly good at writing when I get the inspiration to actually do it, but most writers have writing as their second job because it doesn't pay the bills. I like to read, but I don't think that I can make a job out of that. And I'm a decent violinist (when I actually practice) but I don't have the dedication or love of the instrument to make it work without going insane.

So what am I supposed to do? Right now, I'm working on an Associates of Science degree. I don't even know what I can do with that without going on to a four year school and getting a B. S.
or a masters or whatever. I guess there's always retail. I could always work at a bookstore, which might not be half bad at all as it would give me time to write and access to new reading materials. But do I really want to do that for the long run?

When people ask me what I want to do in the long term, I am literally to the point where I just look at them blank faced and say "There is no long term". Which really is kind of sad, if you think about it. Or maybe it's just sad in my own little mind.

Well, whatever the case, I hope I can figure it out. I mean, I'm almost 20. Shouldn't I know everything about what I want to do with my life?

Anyway. Until the next blog, Cyberland readers.

~Birdgirl90

No comments: