Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Finally, Snow.

At least, in theory we're supposed to get some.  You know, it's kind of odd, dear readers.  Normally by now I'm complaining non-stop about how much I hate snow and want it to go.  This year has been such a fluke, though.  Very little to no snow; it's kind of driving me nuts.  I want snow.

I think this proves that women are impossible to please.  Myself included.

So today I went to the craft store with my mom and sister.  I got a gift card from my relatives for Christmas and I was eager to spend it, not to mention the fact that all the yarn was on massive "end of year" sale.  The whole isle was covered with orange clearance tags.

I was so overwhelmed.  Some women get overwhelmed by jewelry sales, some by clothing or shoe sales.  I get overwhelmed by yarn sales.  Make of that what you will.

Finally I decided to get some really nice soft yar that was on sale for two bucks a skein (normally it goes for like five a skein) and make a blanket.  My mom and sister helped me pick out the colors; by that point I was nearly numb. 

Of course, I was also kind of in a carb snooze mood too, so that may have played a bigger part of it.

I got some other things too, just to make it clear.  I may be a yarn junkie, but I like other things too.  I got a pack of buttons (in various colors for various projects) and some needle covers (so stitches don't fall off my double points).  But back to the yarn.

The thing about me and knitting is that I typically like projects that are fast and convient.  Yeah, knitting is fun, but I don't have the patience for long term commitment.  I have yet to do anything like sweaters.  In fact, I think this is the first year where I've actually finished everything I've started.  I typically start one project and leave it when another comes my way. 

Not anymore.

This is my first time doing a blanket.  It's done is squares, so that should help.  It's going to be a country blue, a wine red, and a forest green when it's all said and done.  I think the appeal of doing one right now is that it's winter and it's cold (at least, it's starting to get that way now).  Blankets are great keepsakes and are actually useful.

I like making useful things from time to time.

I'll let you know how it goes.  I would post pictures of some of the other projects I've done - the frog I made my sister, the tie for my dad, the socks for my mom, my crazy hat, etc. - but I can't seem to figure out how to post them.  As soon as I do, though, you guys will hate me for it.  Lol.

I think that's about it.  Several more deaths have occurred: Trace Beaulieu's dad passed, James Brown passed, and a few others.  I don't know if I can handle anymore death.  My mom says it's affecting me more because I'm more aware of what it means and of what's going on.  Maybe I'm just really becoming emotional as I get older.  I honestly don't know.

So please, keep everyone in your prayers.  The woman I blogged about earlier this week is having her husbands memorial service tomorrow; the man I blogged about earlier had his father's today.  It's so hard, especially around the holidays.  I can not imagine what everyone who lost a loved one must be going through.

Life is short; tell those around you that you love them and don't take anything for granted.

And on that note, I'm going to leave you.  I have a blanket square to work on.

~Meaghan

No comments: