Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Well.

It's been a while.  Sorry bout that, guys.  Life has this funny way of catching up when we least expect it.

A quick summary and then we'll move on:

My mom hurt her knee last week.  It appears that physical therapy is going to help, so she won't need surgery; that being said, she's been off it all week.  Which means that I'm kind of in charge.  I've been making two to three meals a day, doing the running, and just helping out as well as I can around here.

It's a lot of work.  I have a new-found respect for what my mom does.

Then my sister hurt her toe.  So, it's been an interesting few weeks.

Anyway.

Yesterday I knitted my first sock ever.  I'm kind of excited about it.  Sock patterns used to freak me out.  I would look at them and get instantly intimidated.  Turning of the heel?  Decreasing the toe?  It's like terror on a page!  The truth is, though, it really isn't that hard.  It's actually kind of fun.

My sister and I affectionately call my sock "Frankensock" because the combination of yarn I used (it's a varigated full of oddness) and the slightly off diminsions of the sock (for a first time, it could've been a lot worse) make it look totally wonky.  I'm in the process of making a mate for Frankensock, because socks are always in pairs.

I call her the "Bride of Frankensock".  Yeah, you can groan.  It's ok.

But I got distracted from making the Bride today because of something even more important:  I'm helping design a Christmas present.

Basically (and I can't go into too much detail here because my dad reads this from time to time), my sister needed something to make for our dad.  We got to brain storming and I had the perfect idea; she liked it.  So now I'm taking a simple concept and creating a knitting pattern for her to follow to make it more personal.

That's as much detail as you get until after the holidays.  I'm pretty excited, though, cause I've wanted to design a chart pattern.  It's another step in becoming a great knitter.  It is a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I'm enjoying it.

I can't believe Christmas is only 11 days away.  It blows my mind.  This year has gone by incredibly fast.  I hope I get everything done.  I'm pretty sure I will. =)

Until next time, readers.

~Meaghan

No comments: