Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wow.

Three blogs in three days.  What is this, a new record or something?  I mean, geesh, it's so rare for me to update this often.  Know what?  I blame school being over.

I feel weird not having any homework to be done or tests to be preppin' for.  And no, I'm really not an over acheiver.  I just happen to enjoy school.  I like learning new stuff, meeting new people, trying new things.  Not a big fan of tests or major research papers, but I seriously doubt anyone is.  I'm ready for the grades to be posted so I'll know what I did this semester; I was hopeful for a 4.0 but after that history final, I have my doubts...

Ok, fine.  I'm an over acheiver.  Happy?  Good.  Let's move on now.

So anyway, not being in school makes me want to blog more.  It makes me feel like I'm being scholarly and productive.  What am I going to do when I get out of school and am working full time without any classes?  I think I may go nuts.  I don't want to be stagnent in my learning.

Thank goodness for libraries. 

Libraries are amazing.  All the books you can read, always at your fingertips.  Each isle is filled with books ranging from humorous to serious to just plain boring.  If left alone, I am able to spend hours just browsing the shelves, grabbing whatever catches my eye or sounds interesting.  I usually come home with a stack or books and then only read one or two of them.  But those one or two are worth it. 

I love getting lost between the pages of a great book.  It's like a mini vacation without ever actually leaving.  I used to be a huge fantasy fan but then I realized that with one or two exceptions, all fantasy books follow the same basic format.  So I got bored and moved on to horror and romance and real-life novels (I think they have a specific term, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.  They aren't creative non-fiction, although I do like those.  These actually follow a character or group of characters in their day-to-day lives in real time.  It's hard to describe.).

 I still like some fantasy (like the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter), but I really love stories the incorporate elements of the fantastical with reality.  The best example I can give for this is any writing by Francesca Lia Block.  She is amazing.  Her stories always mix fantasy with reality and are done in a lyrical writing style.  I love the "Weetzie Bat" book series, "Violet and Claire", and the collection of fairytale re-writes she did called "The Rose and the Beast".  Everything by her is wonderful, though.

Ok, I've rambled enough on libraries.  Next thing you know, I'll be going on about bookstores and new books as if they were a type of fine wine.  I better stop while I'm a head.

Before I go, please be warned, dear readers.  If the past few days have been any indication, I will be updating more and more frequently as break continues.

Until we meet again,

~Meaghan

No comments: