Sunday, December 5, 2010

No Title is Fine Here.

My last unmarried cousin just got engaged.  It's a wonderful thing, and he deserves all the happiness that is going to come his way.  I love the woman he proposed to - I can't even get into how awesome she is.

But even amid the happiness, one thought popped into my mind: I'm Next.

It almost feels like a sentence.  Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of getting married.  I would be content to settle down, maybe have a family, the whole nine yards.  It's just...

None of the guys I've known have really impressed me to the point of wanting to date them, let alone marry them.  I still want to finish getting my degree and live on my own for a while.  I want to party, to dance, to submerse myself in books and paper and ink.  I want to have a stand-up comedy routine and publish a novella.  I want to do roller derby, break a bone, start my own yarn line. 

Basically, the idea of being tied down right now scares the heck out of me.

Even more than that, this news has made me realize that I am getting older.  Yeah, twenty isn't ancient or anything, but I still can't wrap my head around the thought of being a responsible adult.  No joke.  It's hard.

I think the only guy I would date right now is the Boy-With-The-Jade-Braces.  And even then I'm not sure.

Time to trust God.  And breathe.  And enjoy whatever comes my way.

Ok, cool.

So in other news, my writing instructor told me I should try to enter a writing contest with a piece I wrote.  I think I'm going to do it.  I'm pleased with how it turned out, and I want to try to get published.  If I win the contest at school, I'll be published in a magazine.  If I don't, I still get some exposure because my piece will be read by the judges.  I don't see a downside to this.

Also, I am thinking about applying for a job at a yarn store.  Knitting has been a lifesaver in more than one way the past few months, and it would be amazing.  The position basically means that I sit in the store and knit.  I'll help people with their knitting problems and get to understand the yarn industry better.  Again, I don't see a downside with this, either.  I sent the email and am waiting to see if I hear back about it.

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.  I'm massively allergic to cats, which came to light this week as I was cat sitting for one of my neighbors.  I go into her apartment and not five minutes later, my eyes are burning and I can't breathe out of my nose.  And her apartment is kept clean, too, with no cat hair anywhere.  It bums me out.

Oh well.  I can always knit myself a cat. =D

Have a great night, readers. 

~Meaghan 

No comments: