Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Eve

Time to make some New Years Resolutions.

Normally, I'm not one for resolutions.  I typically think they are pointless and a waste of time and effort.  I mean, come on.  How many of your resolutions do you actually keep?  I think it takes more energy to make resolutions and then try to keep track of them than it does to just live life.

But this year is different.

2011 is going to be my year.  There are three things I want to do this year, three things I am striving toward.  And I'm going to do my best to do them. 

The first goal is to reflect God more clearly in my life.  I realized the past two weeks that I want to be a Godly woman, not a woman of the world.  (Read Proverbs 31 - it gives you an idea of where I'm going with this.)  I want to be the kind of woman who trusts more than she worries, who loves more than she holds grudges, who is kind to everyone.  I want to reflect God.  I can not help but think that it will make me feel better and make life seem sunnier.  I do not want to be worldly.

Which brings me to goal number two: No More Conforming.  I'm the kind of person who tries to please everyone, and in doing so, I lose who I really am.  No more.  I do not need to please everyone.  I do not need everyone to like me.  I am going to instead be myself 24-7.  If people can not accept me for who I am, then I do not need them in my life.  I am going to be me: dorky, funny, odd, talkative, studious, etc.  All the things that some people have tried to change in me; all the things that I find myself changing for others.  This is my year to just be.

And finally, I want to run a half marathon.  I am kind of overweight and I want to lose that extra poundage.  It's not even from a vanity point of view; I actually am ok with how I look.  It's for health reasons.  I don't want to get the diabetes and heart problems and whatever else is lurking on both sides of my family tree.  I want to be healthy so I can live a long time. 

Why a half marathon?  Because I was inspired by the Biggest Loser and by two of my friends who both do marathons.  I am inspired to run, to power walk, to become active.  And if I don't do the half marathon this fall (because training is intense and I'm really out of shape), then I will do it in the spring.  I just want to accomplish something.  So I start training today.  I'm getting on a treadmill and I'm going to work my way up to running.  I'll feel better, and I know it.

So there you have it.  My three New Year goals.  Now it's your turn.  Are you going to do anything?  Why are you doing it?

Have a brilliant New Year eve, my readers, and I will see you on the other side.

~Meaghan

No comments: