Sunday, January 2, 2011

Doing the Right Thing.

A week or two ago, I was in Bath and Body Works.  It's one of my favorite stores ever. (Who can resist scented candles, bubblebath, and other goodies?  Not me, that's for sure...)  It's also one that I have cut back going to now that I'm not working and focusing solely on school.  So when I got Christmas money from my grandmother, I knew I was going to spend it there.

And spend I did.  All but three dollars, to be exact.  Most of it on the Sea Island Cotton line, the rest on holiday scents.  (I missed all the peppermint bubblebath, shower gel, and lotion, but got a candle and spray to make up for it.)

I got in line for the check out, my full load in hand.   My total came up.  I handed my money to the lady.  She hands me my change and is going on and on about an upcoming sale.  I wasn't actually listening, because I was too distracted by the change she had put in my hand.

She gave me ten dollars too much.

For a fleeting moment, I was faced with a choice:  to keep the change and let her think I had paid what she thought I did, or to give it back.

To be honest, it wasn't even really a choice.  All my life I have been taught to do the right thing.  I love being honest, I love making things right, and I love spreading it around.  So really, even though it crossed my mind for half a second, the truth was that I had no choice.  I had to do what was right.

So I gave her the change, showed her the receipt, and explained that she thought I paid more than I did.  I was prepared to leave it at that.  What I was not prepared for was her reaction.

"Oh my goodness, thank you so much!  You just bought your ticket to heaven sweetheart!"  she exclaimed.  (My ticket to heaven's already been paid for, but I didn't say that.  I think I was too stunned.) 

Then she turned to the cashier next to her, thrilled that someone had done the right thing.  As I left, she thanked me numerous times, over and over.

Which got me thinking:  how sad is it that when someone does the right thing, the others around them are stunned?

I don't understand why people don't do the right thing more often.  I think that if we all did what was right and lived the life that God and Christ wanted us to live, no matter what you believe, then society would be a lot better.  I think that's why young people get such a bad rap.  Many parents try to teach their kids the right thing, but there's that handful who never learn or have the opportunity to learn.  And they are the ones who muck it up for the rest of us.

Just a thought.

On an entirely different note, I started working out yesterday.   As I said in one of my earlier posts, I want to do a half marathon with my sister.  Well, training is brutal.  I am pretty out of shape, so I'm not at the running stage yet.  Just power walking.  Today, Katie taught me how to do crunches and pushups.  Between those and the treadmill and the weight machine, I was a sweaty mess.  But I felt so good.

At this rate, I'll be down a dress size before I know it. :)

Anyway, I hope your New Year's is going well so far.  Please keep praying for those mentioned in the last few blogs, and please keep all those who are less fortunate in your hearts.

Also, keep doing the right thing.  You'll feel better.

~Meaghan

No comments: