Friday, January 28, 2011

Jeopardy!

I just registered for the college version of Jeopardy.  I will be taking the test on March 15, 2011.  It's been a dream of mine to at least try out for Jeopardy.  Now, I'm going to.  I'm so excited!

I know that I can do well.  Even if nothing comes from it, I can at least say that I've tried.  It's very exciting and nerve wracking.  Kind of like having to give my speech next week.  So stay tuned, guys.  You never know; you may see me on TV. =D

So far, my list of things I want to do in life goes something like this:

~ Write a best-selling collection of short stories

~ Write a novel

~ Perform a stand-up comedy routine

~ Help with the adaptaion of one of my stories into film

~ Go on Jeopardy!

~ Become a best-selling author and be able to write full time

~ Meet a ton of celebrities (I have a list...)

~ Go on the Rachel Ray show

~ Go to New York City and the rest of the East coast for a trip

~ Go to the West coast for a trip

~ Eventually settle down and get married

~ Write a collection of poetry

~ Drive a convertable

And so on and so forth.

The point being that Jeopardy is on my list.  Once again, I am very excited.

So I started watching that movie "Love the Hard Way".  I was so very excited to see it - it looked fantastic.  I'm about half way done with it and I have mixed feelings about it.  The female lead, Claire, doesn't seem to get it.  She's determined to change the male lead, Jack, into something he's not.  She can't take a hint which is driving me up a wall.  She's supposed to be incredibly smart, but she just comes off as kind of whiny and dumb.  I hate characters like that.

Jack, on the other hand, seems like a well written character.  I like his snarky persona and I can see why he is the way he is.  There's also some humor from him that I enjoy.  But playing off a character like Claire is killing me; it's pretty obvious that he's not really going to change and I feel like he's kind of stringing her along.  Really, I just wish she would take a hint.  It's frustrating to watch.

The beginning started off strong, with promise.  An hour into it and it lost me.  I am going to see it through to the end, just to see if the film makers can pull it out, but so far I'm happy I didn't pay money to see it.  Granted, I am enjoying parts of it.  I really am.  But mostly the main female character is shredding me up.  She grates on me.

I'll review it again when I'm done with it.  It could pull it out.  I don't know.  It's a possibility.

My own writing is slow going.  I have ideas, but I'm hitting that rut point that comes along every once in a while.  I think what I may do is just take a notebook and go outside (it's a beautiful day here) with it.  Write whatever comes into my head, not worring about if it's good or not.  That's my problem.  I want it to be good, so when I feel like it's not, it kills me.  I'm still learning to not judge my own writing as I'm writing it.  After all, that's what the revision process is for.

I think that when I'm writing and publishing, I'm going to try to write young adult literature.  That's what most of my stuff seems to feel like - young adult, for those between maybe 17 and 21.  I don't really want to write adult stuff.  YA is more fun.  Children's books could be fun too, but I think I would go too dark too fast with those.  If you know what I mean.

I mean, some of the stuff I write now, I don't have a clue as to where it comes from.  It's crazy.

I feel like I'm catching a cold.  My mom is getting over a nasty one; my sister is exhibiting signs of it.  There's at least one person in each of my classes that is hacking up a lung.  I was so sick last semester, I want to keep it as far from me as possible.  Thank goodness for vitamin C drops.  Those things are amazing.

And that is today's blog post.  Thank you for your time.

~Meaghan

No comments: