Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Time.

It's official, my dear readers.  The spring semester begins tomorrow.

I'm having rather mixed feelings about it at the moment.  I had a wonderful semester last fall; school is always an adventure of sorts, with new people to meet and new things to learn.  But at the same time, I don't feel like I'm ready.  Normally by now my backpack is organized, I have my class times and room numbers memorized by heart, and I've thumbed through the books.

Instead, my backpack is lying open-mouthed on my bedroom floor.  I know that my first class is at 8:30 in the morning on the fourth floor, but as for room numbers for any of them, I have no idea.  I did look through my books, though.  I get bonus points for that one.

I don't know why I'm worried.  I think it must be the day-before-it-happens feeling.  After all, I know I am capable.  I know I'm friendly, smart, and studious.  I know that I can handle whatever comes my way.

It's like when you're a kid.  Summer break is nearly over and suddenly you have all these things you don't want to let go of: playing outside with your friends, sleeping in, staying out late, etc.  But then when school starts, you realize that you gain new things: you still see your friends, you still play outside, you sleep in on the weekends, you learn stuff you never thought you would like, you gain new friends, etc.

That's how it is for me.  Within this recent winter break I've written more than I've written before, it seems.  I've been able to sleep in almost every day.  I've knitted, I've watched movies, and I've gone out with friends.  I've been able to actually relax.

But even though I'm worried because I don't know my classroom numbers and because I don't have a lot of classes with people I know, I know it's going to be ok.  And even though I love sleeping in and writing all day, I am ready to do something with substance.  The classroom is such a stimulating environment for me.  I don't think I would have it any other way.

So bring it on, spring semester.  I may have butterflies in my stomach, but I'm ready.  Truly I am.  And I'll prove it to you.  You don't scare me.

Until next time, dear readers.

~Meaghan

No comments: