Thursday, January 13, 2011

Random Blog is Random.

Hello again, my dear readers.

There are several things I'm going to blog about in this, and I'm hoping it's not going to be too disjointed.  We shall see how that works out.

I just spent an awesome day out with one of my friends from school.  It was so much fun.  We went for burgers, looked at the mall, hit Kohl's (no, not literally although that might've been fun), and then got these amazing brownies at a local bakery.  It was nice to be able to step away from my life for a while.  You know, I'm still on winter break and I feel like I'm slowly starting to go crazy.  It was nice to get away from that crazed, bored feeling.  And my friend is awesome; I always feel like I can just relax with her.

So I've been going nuts, right?  Here's how bad it's gotten:

I have been writing every day.  Like, literally, every day.  I update here and then I try to do some free writing.  Well, yesterday, my characters had finally had enough of me.  I think that must've been what happened.  I wrote for two hours straight.  When I was done, I read what I had written and it didn't feel natural at all.  So then I tried this morning to do some character sketches before I left.

Didn't happen.

I don't know if I just ran out of inspiration or what, but nothing is working.  I have snippets here and there of short stories laced with the promises of well rounded characters; I just can not seem to connect the dots.  It's one of those pot holes I mentioned in the previous entry.

I like a challenge, don't get me wrong.  I just also like it when I understand my characters.  They are a piece of me, like my children.  I should know them inside and out.  I should be able to understand their motivation as I write, or at least have it develope as the story developes.

Right now, I just feel like slamming my head upon my key board.

Maybe I need space.  Maybe I just need to walk away from it for a while.  Doing that scares me, though.  What if I never go back to them?  What if they just sit in my notebooks and on my hard drive for an infinite amount of time?  What if school becomes so hard this semester that I don't have time to write??

No.  The last one will never happen.  I will always make time to write.  Always.

I'm ready for school to start.  With school comes stimulation, and with stimulation comes inspiration.  Inspiration breeds motivation.

Moving on...

So, has anyone else heard of this thing called the Slender Man?  And if so, why do I feel like the last person to hear about it?

My basic understanding is that it's an Internet meme gone awry.  I mean, the Internet is loaded with crack pot stuff like this; there are so many memes I can't keep them straight.  Who's to know what's real and what's fake, right?

The Slender Man was created by some guy on a forum for a contest.  From there it's turned into this huge deal.  He is a shape-shifter, wears a suit, has no face, and eats children.  That's my understanding.  There's a thing on youtube.com that involves him put up by a user called marblehornets.  I personally suspect it's just a piece of fiction fed by the Internet.

Still, it scares the crap out of me.  It's like when I read Stephen King's short story "the Boogey Man" last year and had to sleep with a light on.  It's fake, but there's still a part of the human psyche that sees the potential and is afraid out of instinct. 

Having a very active imagination does not help, either.

Ok, I've freaked myself out again.  Time to enter happy territory again.

So now that I've started playing my violin again, I feel like that's all I want to do.  There's no way I'll make a career out of it - I'm not nearly dedicated enough or want it bad enough - but I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.  I learned through the Suzuki method when I was taking lessons and I've been revisiting the books.  At the time I hated most of it. 

Now is a completely different story. 

It's like I understand the music better.  In the few years that I stopped playing, it's like I've gained a greater appreciation of classical music.  I love that.  I love that it feels new and fresh to me.  I love that I can feel my pent up feelings flow out through my fingers and into the notes.

I love it so much that I've decided to memorize one song from each book.  That way I always have something that I can play, no matter where I am.  I don't know why, but I'm feeling like it could be important somewhere down the road.  Why, I don't know, but I'm not gonna argue.  As I said before, I'm enjoying playing way too much.

One last random thing before I leave you for the night.  I'm listening to Neil Cicierega as I write this.  He is amazing.  He's part of the group Lemon Demon and he's also the creator of Potters Puppet Pals.  (I see the light go on; you know who I'm talking about...)  I love his youtube channel.  He's got this one about Ben Bernake which is a riot; I also enjoy the one titled "Brodyquest" - the songs are both very catchy.

He's the one who got me to look up the Slender Man, btw.  I watched his parody, called the Splendor Man.

So yeah, you should check him out.

You should also check out my sister's account while you're there.  As I am to writing, she is to film making.  She's HisFallenAngel4, and she's very good.  I'm not going to lie.  So you should check her out. =)

Until we meet again, dear readers.

~Meaghan

No comments: