Thursday, January 29, 2009

I went into the Valentine's Day isle at Walmart today...

I have to be honest - I have two very distinct feelings directed towards Valentine's Day.

The first feeling is, depending upon my mood, "aww, that's cute". I think it's sweet that we have a day where everyone can remember their loved ones in life and whatever. It is kind of cute, in an obnoxiously pink sort of way. And the chocolate always goes on sale as it gets closer to the day (as well as for about a week or so after wards), which makes it easier to stock up on it.

The second feeling I have directed towards Valentine's Day is "Oh, my God, that is disgusting". The marketing end of it starts before the New Year even really begins anymore and is loaded with sickeningly sweet pinks, reds, mushy cards, and stuff toys. Like I said before, I like the concept of remembering those we love, but honestly - do we seriously have to make it such a commercialized affair? All it succeeds in doing is making those in a relationship feel obligated to buy over priced things for their partner, and it makes those of us who are single feel like there is something wrong with us for not being in a relationship even though we know there isn't .

Plus I think a lot of people miss the point, which is that St. Valentine's Day is really about the death of a martyr, who probably died in some grotesque manner as a crowd of people watched.

Puts it in a new light, doesn't it?

Anyway, those are my complaints about Valentine's Day. I do have to say, however, that while being bombarded with pink lovey-dovey things today, I felt the over whelming urge to bake cupcakes with little pink hearts on them. Maybe I'll make some on Friday the 13th (how awsome is that, by the way?) and take them into work. We'll see.

Until next time, Cyberland.

Meaghan

"Why are you so far away, she said/
And won't you ever know/
That I'm in love with you/
That I'm in love with you."
- The Cure
"Just Like Heaven"

No comments: