Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Homesick.

They say home is where the heart is.

Well, my heart is in three separate places right now.

One piece is in Detroit.  My sister - one of my best friends in the world who I love to pieces - is there, on a mission trip.  She's helping make a difference in the lives around her; she's fixing, she building, she's listening, she's growing. She's been gone since Sunday.  I miss her.  I miss her a lot.  She's coming home to us on Saturday, in the evening on a plane. 

One piece is with my boyfriend who lives half an hour away.  He is going with his family on Friday for their family vacation.  He's going to laugh and joke and relax and play.  He's going to get to reconnect with the loved ones in his life, because the only constant things in this life are God and family.  I'm happy for him, and I know that he needs this.  But at the same time, I'm not going to really get to hear from him for the two weeks he's gone.  Last night was the last time I'll get to see him till he gets back.

And the final piece is here, in the apartment I call home.  It's with my parents who have always been there for me and who always will be there for me.  I'm learning as time progresses the one fundamental truth: no matter what happens, family will always be there to catch you.  They support me, they keep me grounded.  They listen to me gripe, listen to my joys.  And without them, I don't know where I would be.

So as you can see, I'm a little homesick.  I want all three pieces back in the same spot.  It's comforting and familiar and smells like home.

But maybe, just maybe, I have three homes.  And while I still miss pieces, I know they are in safe hands.

~Meaghan

No comments: