Friday, March 26, 2010

I Got My Derby Skates!!1

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I have this rather crazy dream of becoming a roller derby queen. It's crazy because I'm 19 and have another year and a half before I can try out. It's crazy because roller derby is a contact sport where people actually get hurt. It's crazy cause I'm a fairly nice individual most of the time and have been told I sometimes let people just walk all over me.

It's crazy cause you actually have to know how to skate.

So I ordered a pair of roller derby skates from Target last week so that I can start practicing. They came in yesterday and I am so thrilled. They are a men's size 8 (all derby skates for some reason are in men's sizes and not women's even though it is a woman's sport...), black, sleek, and just all around amazing.

So far I have discovered that I can skate really well on carpeted surfaces, such as the living room, hallway, and dining room. Now I just have to practice on non-carpeted surfaces, such as the kitchen or bathroom.

As I have said before, I am pretty excited. I am begining to get to that point where I don't just take stuff lying down (I blame improv), I am starting to come into my own, and I'm not as nice as I used to be. I think I am finally becoming a functioning, successful adult. Ok, well maybe not successful, but still..

I am going to use my skates to usher in the rest of that. Some people get tattoos, some people move out, I am going to do roller derby.

Now, about learning to skate....

~Meaghan

No comments: