Monday, February 14, 2011

It's All...Pink...

Ah yes.  Today is Valentine's Day.  The day where couples around the world say "I love you" with diamonds, candy, and other marketing schemes while the single people sit at home, sighing because they are desperately alone.

Here's my take on it.

Valentine's Day, while a nice thought, is a marketing scam.  If you really love someone, you don't need a day to express that.  You express that everyday.  In a healthy, non-overboard manner.  That's what love is - through sickness, health, and every day of the year. 

Diamonds are pretty and chocolate is sweet, but you don't need it.  It's nice, but it's more the thought behind it.  As for having a day solely dedicated to sharing goopy stuff, that's fine.  But I think it's like Christmas and Thanksgiving and all the other holidays. 

No one remembers the point. 

This particular day is not about spending money on the most expensive thing you can find.  It is not about whether you have a partner or not.  It is not about candy or parties.  It is about being with the ones you love.  Your family, your dog, your friends.

(And if we want to be technical here, it's the death of a martyr who married people in secret.  You know, Saint Valentine.  Just a thought.)

I used to hate Valentine's day.  I was always single, always out of the loop, always felt alone.  It was too pink, too commercialized, too much "touchy feely" stuff.

This year, I'm still single.  I still think it's too commercialized.  I still think it's waay too much pink.

But I realize that I'm not alone even though almost all of my friends are dating.  I have my family who is wonderful and always here.  They love me the way I am.  God loves me the way I am.  And frankly, I like me for who I am.  And I'm happy that way.

So happy Valentine's day to everyone, whether you are single or in a relationship.  And remember.  It's about loving the one's you are with. 

Which really, isn't that something you should do every day?

~Meaghan

No comments: