Thursday, February 10, 2011

Random Blog from School

Man, you know it's near the end of the week when I can even come up with a good title for this blog post.  How sad.  Oh well.

So I'm blogging from school again today.  Different set of circumstances this time, though.  Last time my instructor let the class out 45 minutes early and I was using the school computers.  This time I brought my own computer to school and am doing this over my break instead of re-vising my speech for Tuesday.

Don't get the wrong impression.  I'm a fairly good student; I'll get the speech re-written before I have to go to my next class.  (Ironically enough it's my speech class.  Huh.  Coincidence?  You decide.)

As I'm sitting in the student area on the second floor, I am struck yet again by the dynamics here.  You have the popular nerds (yeah, it sounds weird but it's true) who sit in a group on the couches making a ruckus as they carry on their business.  Then there are the studious types, camped out by themselves with paper, pens, textbooks, and computers, trying to get things done before their next classes.  There are the loners (most with headphones in, some turned up overly loud), the misfits, the groups of two, etc.

It's like my version of high school.

I thought social lines turned to ash when one entered college or "the real world".  I always assumed that everyone would be able to get along, that cliques would no longer exist as people learned that things like clothing, money, and status no longer mattered.

It appears I was wrong.

Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing.  Surely there are times when it can be.  But for the most part, it is mainly just interesting.  I always thought college would give me the feeling of truly belonging.  It has done that.  At the same time, though, it has merely solidified the notion that I am partly an outsider.

Part of this may be on my end.  I like to mind my own business.  I don't like being the person to just randomly go up to someone and introduce myself in the hopes that we can be "friends".  I'm not that naive.  I know it doesn't always work that way.

I don't know.  Just some thoughts.

On a completely different note, before I get too profound here, it is a beautiful day here on the Front Range.  The sun is shining, which makes the snow look actually beautiful.  The mountains are highlighted; if you've never lived in Colorado, let me tell you this one simple fact: the mountains look blue.

Being a Missouri native, I never thought much about how the mountains looked.  So when we moved out here all those years ago,  I was pretty surprised.  They are blue and "fuzzy" due to the trees.  Very odd, very pretty.

I had a test in my psychology class that I completely forgot about.  I'm fairly sure I failed it.  I'm trying to get some form of motivation for the class but I just don't have it.  At leas the final project is going to be interesting.  I'm doing mine on anxiety disorders.  It's a fairly short paper (my paper for history last semester was so much longer than any of the papers I'm doing this semester) and a power point presentation.  That might prove to be a little tricky, but I think I can do it.

And I think that's enough rambling for today.  I have some extra time before my next class, so I'm going to overhaul my speech.  Giving speeches makes me so nervous.  It's not really the speaking in front of everyone; I do improv, so I'm used to being in front of groups of people.  It's more the preparation and making sure I know what I'm talking about.  That's the hard part.

But hey, it's a necessary evil.  I can handle it.

Until we meet again, dear readers.

~Meaghan

No comments: