Monday, February 21, 2011

Oh My Gosh, You Guys.

You know how I blogged earlier about how my day was kind of crappy and whatnot?  Well...it got better.

You are never going to guess what just happened.

I got in contact with my mom's brother (aka, my uncle) via Facebook. 

Yes.  It is amazing.  I can not even put it into words. 

Some background, if you so desire it, dear readers.  (And if you don't desire it.  Take it or leave it, folks, cause it's coming any way.)

This is the side of my family that I basically only know snippets about.  We keep in touch with my great-aunt, and that really is about it.  My mom tells stories from time to time about them, but she's not on speaking terms with her mom; it always felt kind of like a distant thing.

And then her dad died, and the snowball started rolling.

Long story short, she started talking to her older brother again.  And he started talking back.  Now there's a whole dialogue going on, where missing parts are being filled in.

And now I'm a part of that too.

It's so incredible, guys.  I suddenly have an uncle on my mom's side, a connection to things that felt unknown.  I feel a little overwhelmed, acutally.  This may not be that coherent, lol.

My mom's been really cool about the whole thing.  Every time they've emailed, she's let the rest of us know what's going on.  When he - my uncle - told her he was on Facebook, she told me.  I decided to look him up; she watched as I found his page and the two of us looked at it.

I feel so amazed that it has come about this way.  I think I may need to write about it later, when I can actually think.  Right now, I feel dazed.

That being said, I think this means the rest of this week is going to be great.  I got my thesis actually done, so skipping class is really no longer an option.  Besides (and I've said it before, I'll say it again), what can they do to me?

Nothing.

I'm still planning on talking to my writing instructor tomorrow, and at some point I need to see an advisor, but we shall cross those bridges when they come about.

(Same with the guy I see in the hall - not in my hands, not anymore. )

Ok, I'm going to go try to sort through my thoughts.  This has been a most amazing Monday night. =)

~Meaghan

No comments: