Saturday, February 19, 2011

The War is On.

I'm waging war against the bathroom scale.  I have been for a long time, but now I'm finally seeing some results here.

Here's the deal.  It's not that I'm unhappy where I am.  Truth be told, I'm actually very happy where I am - I am successful at school, my writing is improving by leaps and bounds, my family and I get along great, my sister and I are talking about getting a place once I get out of college, and I look great for what I weigh, even if that may not be a size ten.

The only reason I want to lose weight is because of all the medical stuff that runs in my family.  Heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, clogged arteries, etc.  I haven't ever had a problem with those things, but I want to make sure I don't have a problem with those things.  If that makes sense.

Basically, I want to stay healthy.  This year has been pretty good so far.  I've only been sick once and it lasted about a week and a half.  My asthma has been killing me, but that's pretty normal for spring.  (All the pollen, budding trees, and temperature changes kill.  But I still love spring.)

In January I went on this huge health thing where I was trying to work out and cut back on what I was eating.  It was slow progress that I'm not even sure was progress.  I ended up stopping it.  I started taking the elevator at school because of my lungs and how heavy my backpack is, I stopped actively working out, and I started eating whatever I felt like.

For the record, if you listen to your body and eat what it tells you to eat, you can't really go wrong.  The human body is awesome in that it knows what you need and will guide you to it.

So, I got on the scale this morning.  I'm at the lowest weight I've been at in over a year.  I feel like doing a victory dance.  And to top it off, my clothes are fitting better.  And I can see a waist actually starting to come back on me.  I'm getting my figure back.

I have no idea what I'm doing, though.  I eat what I feel like - which includes carbs, sugars, and lots of chocolate - and I'm not excercising that much.  I think what it may be is that I'm not as stressed as I was last year.  The semester is running a lot smoother even though I'm taking more classes.  I'm getting a lot more sleep and my body is adjusting to it beautifully.  (Even on days where I stay in bed to think, I am usually up by seven at the latest.)

So it's exciting.  It reinforces my thoughts that good things are coming my way. :)

On a different note, because everyone loves tangents, I'm writing a new story for creative writing.  It's about this woman who can only skip.  It's not from a spell or anything, it's just a freak medical condition.  Her boyfriend's cat (Or maybe it's her room mate's cat? I haven't decided yet.) is always bringing her dead insects (the most recent one being a cricket) and she's had enough.  So she's skipping angrily down the sidewalk, thinking about things, and ends up in the shadow of a steeple.  She goes inside and starts to cry for things she doesn't fully understand, and at the end, she hears crickets chirping outside the church.

I was thinking boyfriend, cause then maybe he could be cheating on her which would explain why he's never around to witness the dead insects.  But if it's a room mate, then maybe the room mate could be a huge partier and basically leaves the main character to take care of the cat. 

Ah, things to think about.  What do you guys think?

(Also, please don't steal this idea.  I've seen enough episodes of CSI and CSI:NY as well as read enough Stephen King that I know how to find you; and no one will find the evidence, either.  So please.  Don't make me come after you, readers.)

Maybe when I'm done with it, I'll post it up here.  We shall see.

Alright, I need to go write that story.  Homework doesn't wait for anyone, you know.

~Meaghan

No comments: