Monday, March 7, 2011

Music Challenge, Day 1: Your Favorite Song

Alright, guys and gals.  It's day one of the music challenge from Facebook.  Here's the deal, so everyone is up to speed.  Each day you pick a song based on a prompt.  It goes on for thirty days, with thirty different prompts and thirty different songs. 

Here's the list:

Day 1 - Your favorite song

Day 2 - Your least favorite song
Day 3 - A song that makes you happy
Day 4 - A song that makes you sad
Day 5 - A song that reminds you of someone
Day 6 - A song that reminds you of somewhere
Day 7 - A song that reminds you of a certain event
Day 8 - A song you know all the words to
Day 9 - A song you can dance to
Day 10 - A song that makes you fall asleep
Day 11 - A song from your favorite band
Day 12 - A song from a band you hate
Day 13 - A song that is a guilty pleasure
Day 14 - A song that no one would expect you to love
Day 15 - A song that describes you
Day 16 - A song you used to love but now hate
Day 17 - A song you hear often on the radio
Day 18 - A song you wish you heard on the radio
Day 19 - A song from your favorite album
Day 20 - A song you listen to when you're angry
Day 21 - A song you listen to when you're happy
Day 22 - A song you listen to when you're sad
Day 23 - A song you want to play at your wedding
Day 24 - A song you want to play at your funeral
Day 25 - A song that makes you laugh
Day 26 - A song that you can play on an instrument
Day 27 - A song that you wish you could play
Day 28 - A song that makes you feel guilty
Day 29 - A song from your childhood
Day 30 - Your favorite song at this time last year

I will be labeling each blog post as we go.  It should be a lot of fun.  I encourage you guys to give it a go, too. =)

Let's move on.

My favorite song is a toss up between "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure and "Clocks" by Coldplay.  I'm going to say Coldplay wins out just because I've liked it longer.

Here it is for you to listen to as you read this post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkWGy7W3_o

What I love about "Clocks" is that there is so much going on.  The keyboard/synthesizer is playing one thing, the bass is going along with another thing, the drums are keeping a different rhythm, and then the vocals are off doing their own thing.  I feel like there are so many dynamics to the song.  It's got depth and substance.

I've found that I have probably listened to it over a million times at this point and I can still find something exciting in it. 

The keyboard is my favorite part.  It's got that haunting melody that both soothes and fascinates me.  I have a tendency to think of water when I hear it: it's got that flowing feel to it.

I first heard the song in the fall/winter of 2003.  My family was living in the midwest still.  The song had been used in trailer for the new, live action Peter Pan film that was about to come out.  It took me nearly three months to figure out what the song was.  When I did, my friend burned it to a CD (which I still have, Dani, believe it or not, and the label is still green) for me.  I must have listened to it over a thousand times as 2004 and 2005 progressed.

As my family moved first to Illinois and then to Colorado, Coldplay - and in particular, "Clocks" - became like a security blanket for me.  As long as Chris Martin was there to sing me to sleep each night, it would be ok.

Amazingly, I still haven't gotten completely sick of the song.  I think that's what makes a favorite song your favorite song.  You can listen to it no matter what.  Even now, if I have trouble sleeping, I turn on "Clocks".  It works nearly every time.

And that is why "Clocks" by Coldplay is my favorite song.

No comments: