Friday, March 4, 2011

Spring Break Day One: In the ER...

Today did not go how I planned it to go at all.

It started off ok.  Kate and I went to try to make up the bowling we missed on Monday.  But the people put us next to a senior league who made it very clear they hated us for being young and on a league.  It was so discouraging.

So we left, deciding to finish our bowling on Monday after league. 

And that is where the real trouble began.

On Wed, I had woken up with pain in the right side of my chest all the way from my shoulder down.  Every time I took a breath, laughed, whatever, it hurt.  Bad.  I figured I had pulled something somewhere along the way and didn't think anything of it.

Sleeping Wed night and Thursday night was a nightmare.  I couldn't roll onto it; breathing was still painful.

So today, my mom and sister decided it was time for me to go to Urgent Care to see what was going on.  After leaving the bowling alley, we headed over.

An hour and a half plus several X-Rays later, the lady at Urgent Care told me I had to go to the ER.  Her thinking was that it was probably blood clots in my lungs due to my birth control pills.

We went, grabbed my dad, and went to the hospital.  There I spent the remainder of my day up until a few hours ago being prodded, poked, and questioned.  I wore a gown, had a CT scan with iodine (the weirdest sensation, I tell you), and ultra sound. 

The two fears were that a.) I had blood clots or b.) my gall bladder bit the dust.

The happy news?  It wasn't either.  The doctor I saw was happy to tell me that I had inflammation along my right lung and that it should go away on it's own within a week.  In other words, I got to go home.

So it was a crazy busy day.  Not at all how I wanted to spend it.  My poor family was stressed out beyond stressed.  My arms are crazy sore from blood work and stuff.  And I have a cool band that has my name and DOB on it.

I'm exhausted.  I don't know if this made sense, and I don't know if I care.

The only thing I know?  I'm really happy to be home.

What a way to kick of spring break, huh?

~Meaghan

No comments: