Saturday, March 12, 2011

Music Challenge Day 6: A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere

There really are so many songs that remind me of places.  It's hard to choose. 

But in the end, "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane trumps them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oextk-If8HQ

Boy, it takes me on a trip down memory lane.

I remember my old home as I listen to this song.  I remember the feel of my old room at the end of the day, of the way the deck kind of creaked when you stood on it in the evenings, of the dampness of the blue porch swing in the middle of a good storm.

I remember the year of Springfield and how this song came out shortly after my dad got the job out there.  I listened to it on the radio nearly religiously, loving every bit of it and how I could hear it on both St. Louis stations and Springfield stations.

I remember walking through the woods along the creek in the area near our home.  I always felt like I was on an epic adventure to Narnia or Middle Earth when I really never was that far from home.

I remember thunderstorms when I hear this song.  Not sure why, but I associate the rainy season before moving with Keane.

Ah, so many memories.  I love them, just like this song.  The beauty of being reminded of places is that it makes it so that you can't forget where you've been.  It's important.  You can't live in the past, but it's important to remember where you've been because it is a part of you.

Man, I love Keane.  Always have.  Always will.  And all because of this song.

~Meaghan

No comments: