Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Music Challenge Day 10: A Song That Makes You Fall Asleep

I have a lot of trouble with sleep.  It's one of those deals where I want to sleep - my body wants to sleep - but my mind has other plans.  I toss and I turn.  I flip over the pillow.  I fix the blankets and then kick them off again.  I stare at the ceiling, stare at the walls, stare at my alarm clock.

Basically, it's like sleep hates me.

But there is hope.  And part of it is in this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDCJXs-s3MY

"Let It Rain" by OK GO.

It's been a personal lullaby of mine since I discovered the group back in high school.  The original reason I bought the CD was because of the song "Here It Goes Again" - you know, the one with the video with the group on treadmills.  Little did I know that I would actually fall in love with "Let It Rain" more than the original single.

It's soothing.  Even though it has all the elements of rock in it, I find that it's subtle enough that if I'm having a rough night - stress about my self-image, boys, family, school, etc. - I can put it on and it lulls me into that state of sleep that I so desperately need.  Maybe it's the lyrics.  I find them to be somewhat relateable.  How many times have I been drained in relationships that didn't pan out or come to fruitation? 

And then there's the chorus:  "Let it rain, let it pour..."  Ah rain.  Please, do let it rain.

Ultimately, "Let It Rain" is my one song that I can listen to and be relaxed enough to sleep 99% of the time.

~Meaghan

No comments: